“Honouring Elders is a value we strive to demonstrate and inspire in future generations. The Board continues the journey to become an Eden certified home and our vision remains to foster a culture that strives to eliminate the plagues of our Elders – loneliness, helplessness and boredom.”
Kinsmen Lodge is governed by the Whalley & District Senior Citizens Housing Society, a non-profit organization which was incorporated in 1961. We built our first home on Old Yale Road in 1975 and have continued to offer healthcare services to Surrey seniors ever since.
The Board welcomes new members to the Society and invites their participation at the Annual General Meeting held in June each year.
The Board of Directors is charged with providing complex care according to the provisions of the Community Care and Assisted Living Act. The Board is responsible for policy development, strategic planning and quality improvement, so that Kinsmen Lodge, through its staff, is able to maintain the highest quality service to meet our community’s needs.
- Brian Joel – ChairBrian holds a BBA from SFU and has considerable business experience. As CEO of POSitec for 25 years, a computer software and development company, he took a home based business and built it into a multi-million dollar national operation with specialized software for drug stores across Canada. He is a long time Surrey resident where he lives with his wife and family, he runs marathons and is an active volunteer in his church. His inspiration for serving Elders is wanting to give back to the community for the many gifts he has received in life.
- Diane Miller – Vice Chair Diane holds a Master of Science in Nursing degree from UBC and an Executive Master of Business Administration degree from SFU. As a retired health care executive with over thirty years of leadership experience, Diane brings strength in strategic and business planning, as well as financial accountability and human resource development. Throughout her career, she has focused strongly on the quality of health care and engagement of the patient voice for many diverse populations. Diane welcomes the opportunity to serve on the Board as a means of continuing to support high quality health care for Elders in our community.
- Joy Page – Acting SecretaryJoy Page, who holds a BSN and MS (Nursing), is a retired Administrator from Douglas College where she was Dean of Health Sciences for many years. With her strong background in healthcare, Joy brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to her role as a Director and is an asset in health/Elder care, risk management, human relations management and strategic planning.
- Bill Gill – TreasurerSince joining Crowe MacKay LLP in 1998, Bill has been involved in all areas of public practice. He enjoys providing accounting and tax services. His experiences include providing expertise to industries such as automotive, construction, real estate, investment, manufacturing and retail sales. Bill graduated from Simon Fraser University in 1997 with a BBA and obtained his CA designation in 2001. In addition to being a Board member with Kinsmen Lodge, Bill has volunteered with the Surrey Board of Trade an the Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association.
- Alethea Capadouca – DirectorAlethea Capadouca is a lawyer at Skands Law Corporation who lives and practices in Surrey. She has worked with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, has been a volunteer providing legal counsel on a pro bono basis and has experience fundraising. She provides expertise to the Board in policy development, fundraising and legalities.
- Bob Martin – Director Bob Martin is a graduate from UBC’s Engineering School and also a former Board member from 2007 – 2013. We were pleased to welcome him back to the Board in 2015. He was recruited through a well, but little known, network called TRAIL BC. Bob and long-serving KL Director Gerry Della Mattia were high school mates and hooked up at an annual Trail BBQ right here in Surrey’s Bear Creek Park. Bob was on the KL Building Committee where his engineering skills were well used and appreciated during the construction of our new building in 2012.
- Helen Nguyen – Director Helen Nguyen is a Quality Service Analyst with Community Living BC. She is a Surrey resident. Helen has worked in the community with various vulnerable populations, in both Canada and the United States, with a goal of providing social supports and community building projects to improve their quality of life. She provides expertise to the Board in fundraising, knowledge of the health care and the Elder care sectors, financial planning and management, grant proposal writing, government relations and human relations management.
- Tre Verbeek – Director Tre Verbeek is an Account Manager in the construction supply industry and lives in Surrey. He has a strong work ethic in caring for and meeting the needs of the clients he serves and a keen interest in Elder care. He brings to the Board experience in budgets, human relations management, inventory and material supervision, team building and coordination, strategic planning, fundraising, technology and financial management.